VanMoof launches electric bike that doesn’t need a lock
• Dutch high-tech bike company VanMoof launches new Electrified S2 and X2 worldwide
• Alongside VanMoof’s trademark anti-theft technology, the new electric bikes come with wheel block that automatically immobilise the back wheel without an external lock
• Bikes are available for pre-order online from 7th June
London, 30th May 2018 - Today, bike-meets-tech company VanMoof launches a new range of e-bikes featuring the latest in theft defence technology. The Electrified S2 & X2 include rider recognition, a virtually invisible stealth lock and a multi-phased alarm to take their battle with bike thieves to the next level.
The bikes are equipped with an intelligent motor that is more powerful than previous models, pedal assist, quick-charge mode and can travel 93 miles - London to Brighton and back - in a single charge. Earlybird riders can reserve their new Electrified S2 or X2 for just £100 from 7th June, with deliveries commencing in September.
The Electrified S2 & X2 come with a virtually invisible “stealth lock” that stops the wheel from turning and activates the theft defence system, which kicks in when the bike is tampered with. When the owner is nearby, the bike automatically unlocks and disarms the defence system. Combined with an integrated alarm and a disabling mode that makes it impossible to ride, let alone sell, if stolen, this is a completely new way of thinking about bike security designed to free the rider of any worries.
• If a bike is stolen, the bike’s owner uses the app to alert VanMoof’s Bike Hunters, who spring into action to recover the stolen bike. This opt-in Peace of Mind service guarantees that if the Bike Hunters don’t track it down within two weeks, VanMoof will replace it.
Key features of the VanMoof Electrified range include:
• Intelligent motor – Smarter, more powerful pedal assist up to 20mph/h.
• Turbo boost – Press the button on the handlebar for on-demand acceleration, getting you up hills and away from crowds at the flash of a green traffic light.
• “Light matrix” display – Over 166 responsive LEDs bring the frame to life, displaying speed, battery level, and power-assist level.
• Better battery – Capacity and range increase by over 20% to 504Wh/93 miles respectively. Complete charging takes just four hours, with a ‘turbo charge setting’ of 50% in 80 minutes.
• Connected app – Remembers your parking spot, features adjustable sounds settings, theft defense settings and light control. Free online updates mean the bike gets smarter over time.
• Smart cartridge – The ‘brains’ of the bike are tucked into a removable and replaceable cylinder, removing the maintenance hassle often associated with buying a bike online.
• New frame design – VanMoof’s iconic front and rear lights have evolved to fit seamlessly into the re-engineered frame, which houses more tech and battery power in a sleek new body.
• Rider recognition – Secure Bluetooth technology allows the bike to respond when the owner is near, automatically unlocking the Stealth Lock and disarming the Theft Defense system.
• Stealth lock – A tiny integrated module (patented by VanMoof) that completely immobilises the bike and auto-activates the theft defense at the kick of a button.
• Ultimate theft defence – The bike responds with three phases of alarm sounds and flashing lights when tampered with, telling would-be thieves that it’s too ‘dangerous’ to steal.
• Tokyo-inspired X frame – Originally a Japan exclusive, the unisex X-frame is now available worldwide, suited to all riders between 5’1” (155 cm) and 6’6” (200cm).
“Bike theft is a serious barrier to widespread bike adoption in the UK - over 250,000 bikes have been stolen in in the past three years. VanMoof is committed to solve this problem at its root through continuous innovation. Why build bigger and tougher locks when you can make bikes pointless to steal in the first place? By using smart technology, we’ve created a bike that can take perfect care of itself, leaving the rider free of worries".
Riders can reserve the VanMoof Electrified S2 & X2 for just £100 from 2pm CET on June 7 on vanmoof.com. The first 2000 buyers will snap up a £1000 early bird discount on the list price of £3198. Deliveries begin in September.
Founded in 2009 by brothers Taco and Ties Carlier, VanMoof is an inventive bike-meets-tech company from in Amsterdam. With the mission of reimagining how a bicycle should work in the cities of tomorrow, VanMoof has time and again disrupted the bike industry by stripping out unnecessary parts, improving the essentials, and integrating smart technology.
VanMoof has received many accolades for its unique solutions, including the "Best Product Design" award from Fast Company's 2015 Innovation by Design Awards program, and a prestigious Red Dot design award. VanMoof’s bikes are available at vanmoof.com and in their Amsterdam, Berlin, London, New York, San Francisco, Taipei and Tokyo locations.
VanMoof was founded in 2009 by Taco and Ties Carlier, two Dutch brothers with a vision of the perfect city bike. The company’s next-generation bikes are engineered for the cities of tomorrow – with powerful motors, high-capacity batteries, and integrated smart tech. VanMoof has brand stores in Amsterdam, Berlin, London, New York, Paris, San Francisco, Taipei, and Tokyo, with riders buying online across the globe. Over 10 years, their bikes have won multiple international accolades, including the EUROBIKE award, RED DOT Design Award, and Fast Company Innovation by Design Award. To keep up with everything VanMoof, head to vanmoof.com, and follow us on Instagram and Facebook.