Senior Backend Engineer
As Senior Backend Engineer within VanMoof's R&D Team, you'll take the lead in developing our digital bike platform and bringing it to the next level. In this role you'll be shaping the future of biking with the creation of the next generation connected e-bikes. The digital bike platform is where all the 'smartness' of our bikes happens.
With our backend capabilities expanding, we're looking to bring the expertise required to develop our digital bike platform in-house. You'll be working closely with different engineers from firmware engineers optimizing the bike electronics and API developers creating secure scalable APIs to app developers who will implement innovative features in the app thanks to your backend code. You will need strong decision-making skills to balance technical decisions with understanding trade-offs, work closely with stakeholders, and evolve systems while keeping them running. You'll bring hands-on experience with working with external teams and leading a team, and solid experience in automated testing to create the processes that will help us deploy with confidence.
What you’ll do
- Take ownership of our digital bike platform, create requirements and test plans, and review and write code.
- Work together with our in-house multidisciplinary team, which includes firmware to app developers, QA, POs and designers, on developing new features for the platform, the apps and the bikes.
- Help develop the strategy of the platform including roadmap and technology choices.
- Lead our external partners for the development on the platform.
- Improve our bike platform by making sure it's ready to scale as we grow.
Technologies we use
It is not required that you have experience with all the technologies we use, but at least you should be familiar and comfortable around them:
- PHP, using Laravel as the framework.
- Internet of Things – our bikes generate large amounts of data that we handle in our backend systems.
- High Availability architecture including message buses, event-driven systems, redundancy in hardware, computing clusters, and using cloud platforms.
What you'll bring
- Min. 5 yrs experience in building high traffic web applications, addressing the entire stack from infrastructure to development, which includes senior-level thinking and acting.
- A passion for the best design and coding practices and a creative mindset to develop bold new ideas.
- Experience with PHP, ideally with other programming languages.
- Hands-on experience with DevOps/Systems architecture tasks such as creating cloud architectures for highly scalable applications, and applying automation such as testing, deployment, and routing.
What you'll get
- 26 paid holidays for you to unwind
- Your very own VanMoof bike (lend-lease)
- Laptop, screens, and software tools
- Insider experience in a rapidly-growing international company
- Healthy lunch provided when in the office
- Special snacks, tasty coffee (and lots of tea) when in the office
- Weekly Bootcamp, Weekly Yoga, Onefit discount & Classpass credits.
- Discount on Dutch Health Insurance
We’re obsessed with cities. So are our bikes. Truly city-proof, they shrink long commutes, scare off bike thieves, and amplify your pedal power. We made it our mission to get the next billion on bikes. Join us on this journey.
Job descriptions are difficult to interpret. We understand you might not tick all the above boxes. The truth is, we don't either. If you feel excitement about our upcoming challenges, we encourage you to apply now!