Are you bursting with technical know-how and eager to contribute to an innovative and sustainable mission? We’re on our way to reinvent the world of urban mobility, and we’re looking for an Engineering Manager to manage our talented and ever-expanding Digital Engineering team. Our bikes are jam-packed with smart technology. Your focus will be to oversee the technical side of our ambitious projects to make sure we’re always on track, and you’ll also provide crucial support to our Engineering team as we rapidly expand.
As our Engineering Manager you’ll be in charge of a team of seven skilled developers (backend, frontend, full stack, and quality assurance). You’ll coordinate the work of our development partners, and be the team’s go-to for technical decisions. Your work will help elevate the quality of our systems, and your ability to provide next level management, feedback, and build strong communication within the team will maintain the high standards we have at VanMoof.
What you’ll do:
- You’ll understand the technical challenges that the team faces from pair programming to code review and issue resolution.
- You’ll work closely with the Digital Engineering team to implement engineering best practices.
- You’ll collaborate with product owners and engineers to expand on their technical roadmap.
- You’ll develop a hiring strategy with HR and the Recruitment team.
- You’ll coach and support the development of the Engineering team.
- You’ll provide regular and constructive feedback in the form of one-on-ones and technical reviews for members of the Engineering team.
What you'll bring:
- You have at least eight years experience as a software engineer.
- You understand the importance of cross-functional teams and collaboration across the organization.
- You have at least two years of experience directly managing people (one-on-ones, coaching, performance reviews).
- You have a solid understanding of software design and architecture, data modeling, API design, and security best practices.
- You have experience of working in an e-commerce ecosystem (Order Management Systems, Payment Platform System integrations, CRM integrations)
- You have excellent command of the English language, both written and spoken.
Extremely nice to have:
- Experience in high-traffic website management
- Experience with serverless technologies (serverless framework, nodeJS, lambda functions)
- Experience with systems administration (such as Linux, Apache, PHP)
- Believer in the DevOps culture and mindset (CI/CD, Infrastructure as Code, monitoring)
- Proven track record in managing a complex cross-team initiative (e.g. breaking monolith, system migrations, etc)
Some of the tools we use:
- PaaS: AWS (EC2, Autoscaling groups, CodeDeploy, RDS (including Aurora Serverless), API Gateway, Lambda Functions, Cloudwatch, Amplify), Cloudflare
- Development and monitoring tools: Sentry, Datadog, PRTG, CircleCI, Jenkins
- CultureAmp: objective tracking, one-on-ones performance reviews, 360 reviews
What you'll get
- 26 paid holidays for you to unwind
- Your very own VanMoof bike (lend-lease)
- Laptop, screens, and software tools
- Insider experience in a rapidly-growing international company
- Healthy lunch provided when in the office
- Special snacks, tasty coffee (and lots of tea) when in the office
- Weekly Bootcamp, Weekly Yoga, Onefit discount & Classpass credits
- Discount on Dutch Health Insurance
We’re obsessed with cities. So are our bikes. Truly city-proof, they shrink long commutes, scare off bike thieves, and amplify your pedal power. We made it our mission to get the next billion on bikes. Join us on this journey.
Job descriptions are difficult to interpret. We understand you might not tick all the above boxes. The truth is, we don't either. If you feel excitement about our upcoming challenges, we encourage you to apply now