As the Backend Developer within VanMoof's R&D Team, you'll help bring our mobile app services to the next level. In this role, you'll be actively helping to build the future of biking with the creation of the next generation of connected e-bikes. The Go backend is where a lot of our riders app stats are generated and where we start to apply predictive modeling to enhance the user experience.
With our backend capabilities expanding, we're looking to bring the expertise required to further develop our secure scalable APIs. You'll be working closely with different engineers, but will primarily work with app developers who’ll implement innovative features in the app thanks to your backend code. You’ll need strong decision-making skills to balance technical decisions with understanding trade-offs, you’ll work closely with various stakeholders, and evolve systems while keeping them running. You'll bring solid experience in monitoring and automated testing to create the processes that’ll help us deploy with confidence.
What you’ll do:
- You’ll write and architect tested and data-oriented backend services and tasks to be used for enhancing the rider experience.
- You’ll work together with our in-house multidisciplinary team, which includes app and firmware developers, QA engineers, POs, and designers. You’ll work with them to develop new features for the platform, the app, and the bike.
- You’ll help develop the next level of API services and insights we’ll give to our app developers, and eventually our riders.
- You’ll improve our code, and will be constantly looking for things that can help us write more maintainable and scalable services.
Technologies we use:
We don’t need you to have in-depth experience with all the technologies we use, but our ideal candidate is at least familiar and comfortable around the following technologies:
- Internet of Things – our bikes generate large amounts of data that we handle in our backend systems
- High Availability architecture including message buses, event-driven systems, redundancy in hardware, computing clusters, and cloud platforms. We run everything in the cloud (mostly GCP).
What you'll bring:
- 3-4 years experience in the field
- Experience developing with Go (this is preferred but if you’re willing to switch from another backend stack, you’ll still be considered)
- Capable of work independently
- Experience in serving mobile applications
- Devops/Infra-as-code hands-on experience
- Familiarity with architecting complex software products (such as APIs, event-driven systems, Big Data)
- Experience in continuous integration
- Experience of stakeholder management
- You’re a data-driven and pragmatic decision-maker
- You’re open-minded, kind, autonomous, and proactive
- You like to write maintainable, clean, and readable code
What you'll get
- 26 paid holidays for you to unwind
- Your very own VanMoof bike (lend-lease)
- Pension by BrandNewDay
- Laptop, screens, and software tools
- Insider experience in a rapidly-growing international company
- Healthy lunch provided when in the office
- Special snacks, tasty coffee (and lots of tea) when in the office
- Weekly Bootcamp, Weekly Yoga, OneFit discount and ClassPass credits.
- Discount on Dutch health insurance
We’re obsessed with cities. So are our bikes. Truly city-proof, they shrink long commutes, scare off bike thieves, and amplify your pedal power. We made it our mission to get the next billion on bikes. Join us on this journey.
Job descriptions are difficult to interpret. We understand you might not tick all the above boxes. The truth is, we don't either. If you feel excited about our upcoming challenges, we encourage you to apply now!